I’ve done this so many times this week that I’m writing it down here where I can Google it later. What I’m looking for is the specific three commands you type to install rspec and rspec-rails as plugins into my rails project.
To find this data normally, I do this:
- Go to http://rspec.info because that’s the URL I can remember.
- Click on Spec::Rails in the menu bar.
- Click on Install in THAT menu bar.
- This takes you to a page that tells you that the Install instructions are no longer here, they’ve moved to http://wiki.github.com/dchelimsky/rspec/rails
- Hooray! THIS is the page you want to be at. Sure enough, scroll down to see
Okay, now… ready for the kicker? This documentation is ALSO out of date. (There’s a crash bug in tag 1.2.9 when you call model.should be_valid.) As of this writing, if you clone the rspec-rails repo and examine the tags, you will see that 1.3.2 is available. So here’s the updated command. For now.
…But lately I just get the latest and it seems to work: